I see these around town here. This morning I noticed a new one. So sad. On the way home it’s all I thought about. Here is my humble tribute.
You sit on street corners and along roads
across our great nation.
A symbol of those who pedal on two wheels.
The breeze in their face and clear skies above.
Their muscles burning,
Until tragically their breathing ceases.
Ended by carelessness.
Quickly and tragically.
You are passed daily
by commuters on foot, car and bicycle.
In large cities and small towns.
A memorial to the anonymous
who lost their life.
Who were you?
Were you young or old?
Male or female?
You were all of these.
Now you are a beautiful symbol
placed by people who know you.
By a community who cares.
A symbol never to be removed.
Sitting through wind and rain.
Under sunny or cloudy skies.
Your wheels once turned.
Now they are still.
A bike now doctored.
Colored in all white.
The Ghost Bike.
This was written for Trifectra; Week Sixty-Six
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.
b : a learned or authoritative teacher
c : a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (as a PhD) conferred by a university
d : a person awarded an honorary doctorate (as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
b : medicine man